Now that I am in the very throes of Autumn in London people have started to ask me if I’m homesick at all, if I miss where I came from. My first instinct, of course, is to look at them as if they have suddenly grown another head because we are standing in London when they ask me this. What is there to miss when you’re in the greatest city in the world?
But anytime you do something different and new there are always going to be things about what was old and the same that you do think might be nice to have from time to time. When I actually stopped to think about these things, for me, it really amounts to stuff. I miss the crap that wouldn’t fit in the suitcase. Not enough to fly home and get it. Or to even try to find a reasonable facsimile here, just enough for an “Aw, shucks” moment.
I’m in wild, passionate love with London and have no desire to be anywhere else, but these are the little things I kind of wish were here with me:
1. Mac and Cheese.
2. Driving. Not that I want to drive or park a car here, but the efficiency of tube, bus and feet will never be as much fun as driving.
3. In-N-Out burger and other food that is both delicious and genuinely cheap (damn you currency conversion)
4. Mexican food. Made by Mexican people.
5. My jewelry box, and its contents, but mostly the box.
6. Having a living room. With a TV.
My mommy (only sometimes) Umm, I mean, the beach, yeah, the beach is cool.
8. That one dress that I didn’t think I would need but would be totally perfect for this thing and is now uselessly sitting in a box 8,000 miles away.
9. Cake. And pie. And cookies. Brits think they know how to make these, but they are wrong.
10. Target. And really just the concept of going to one store to get all of your essentials. But, exercise is good, too, I hear.
Of course there are things that would make life just a bit more perfect, but that would be true no matter where I am. Also, I may or may not have chosen a few boxes of Mac and Cheese instead of that dress when it came to packing my suitcase, and that’s a decision I may or may not have to live with. And I can bake my own cookies and steal cars if I need to.